Have you learnt an occupation or studied abroad? Thanks to recognition you will be able to have your education certificates assessed and find work in Germany. We will guide you through the recognition process and tell you everything there is about required documents, translations and appropriate authorities for your case.
Did you know that the German government will pay for your translations? Please note that there is no central body for recognition. Depending on your vocational training or occupation, there are different appropriate authorities.
Which recognition body is responsible for my case?
Which recognition authority is responsible depends on the nature of your profession. There are three types of qualifications: School, university and profession.
School-leaving qualifications are recognised by the municipalities, which differ from every federal state. Simply ask for the "Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle" at your municipality ("Rathaus" or "Bürgeramt"). If you want to study, the university is responsible for the recognition of your school leaving certificate. It may be that your school leaving certificate is partly equivalent to a vocational qualification in Germany. For further information, please contact an IQ counselling centre.
Academic degrees can be recognised by the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB). They provide a database called anabin in which you can check whether your university is recognised according to German standards. They also provide answers to FAQs and information in Arabic and English on the required documentation for each country.
For vocational qualifications, you need to know whether there is an equivalent occupation of your foreign vocational qualification in Germany in order to know which recognition institution is responsible. In addition, these centres differ from state to state.
How does the recognition process work? This video clip will explain everything in a concise and clear way.
In order that your qualifications is recognised you require your testimonials and certificates.
Documents required for recognition:
- Application for the recognition of your qualifications
- Identification documents and proof of any name changes
- Residence permit (for refugees/asylum seekers: “Certificate of Registration as an Asylum Seeker”)
- Certified translation of testimonials
- CV in tabular form
The following documents must be submitted as certified translations:
- Proof of your professional or educational qualifications (e.g. diploma from your university)
- Evidence of the content and duration of the training completed (e.g. list of subjects and lists of grades, course book, Diploma Supplement, Transcript of records)
- Other qualifications (e.g. certificates of further training or retraining)