Did you know?

At lingoking you can easily order translations online: Select a product, calculate the price and book!

Didn't find what you were looking for? We look forward to your message. Contact us via our chat or the contact form.

To the contact form

The lingoking Guidebook for Expats: Emigration/Immigration Documents

Translations for immigration and emigration

If you choose to move to another country, there is a lot of paperwork that needs to be done. In fact, each country and each jurisdiction has their own regulations regarding the documents you need to submit in order to be granted a visa, a Green Card, or a certificate of citizenship or naturalisation. That’s why, on this page, lingoking would like to share some important information on how to translate your emigration/immigration documents.

When do I need a translation of my emigration/immigration documents?

If you relocate to another country, it is necessary to have your personal certificates and other documents translated into the language of that country. You may need a translation of your emigration/immigration documents if you apply for visa, Green Card or to register.

Immigration authorities only accept certified translations of documents such as:

* • [Bank and insurance documents](/products/bank-insurance-documents) * • [Birth certificates](/products/birth-certificate) * • [Certificate of Nationality](/products/certificate-of-nationality) * • [Diplomas and other academic documents](/products/diploma-certificate-of-education) * • [Divorce Papers](/products/divorce-certificate)

* • [Driver's License](/products/drivers-license) * • [Marriage certificates](/products/marriage-certificate) * • [Medical records](/products/medical-report) * • [Passports and ID cards](/products/id-card) * • [Police records](/products/criminal-record)

Things to look out for when translating your emigration/immigration documents

  • Often you will be asked to translate some or all of the required documents into the native language of the country you are planning to relocate to. Most authorities and organisations like the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) only accept certified translations of your birth certificate and other legal documents. However, you cannot provide a certified translation of these certificates yourself, even if you are fluent in the language required.

  • A certified translation needs to be carried out by a professional translator who formally states that they are qualified to make the translation. In some countries, there is a professional body that the translation company needs to register with in order to be able to carry out certified translations.

  • Keep in mind that there are strict regulations regarding the format and style of the translated certificates. You do not want to have your Green Card application denied because of the incorrect translation of one of your documents. This is why it is best to hire a professional translator who is experienced with translating immigration documents and who can handle all your immigration paperwork.

In a nutshell: Immigration documents are essential for your relocation process. If you require a translation of your personal documents, make sure that they are translated by a court-sworn, professional translator. Incoherent or non-certified translations may not be accepted by the authorities. Find more information on "certified translations" and what "certification" means here in the lingoking Guidebook.

Can I translate my own birth certificate for USCIS?

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is in charge of everything from processing immigrant visa petitions to naturalization petitions and refugee applications. You are required to provide an English translation of all foreign language documents. You cannot translate these documents yourself if you are the petitioner. In other words: You are not allowed to translate your own immigration documents!

But who can translate a birth certificate for immigration? You can either hire a professional translation agency or ask someone who is qualified to translate your documents for you. But keep in mind that USCIS only accepts certified translations of your immigration documents.

Summary: Certified translation of immigration documents

When you need your emigration or immigration documents translated, for example to apply for a Green Card, it’s important to get it done properly. Using a professional translation service is the best way to make sure translations meet all requirements made by immigration authorities. A professional translation plattform like lingoking can provide you with an accurate and fast translation while at the same time always protecting your privacy.

Why lingoking?

At lingoking, you simply choose the type of translation you need and find out the fixed price before uploading your documents. You can place your order with just a few clicks! Our system will automatically connect you with a suitable translator and deliver the finished translation to you online or by post.

* • Easy ordering ✔ * • Fast delivery ✔ * • Friendly service ✔

Order your text translation from lingoking, the translation delivery service - quickly and easily order professional translations online!