A marriage certificate serves as an official statement that two people are married. In contrast to a marriage license, a marriage certificate is issued only after the civil registration of the marriage. However, there are some jurisdictions where a marriage licence both grants permission for a marriage to be performed as well as serves as a record of the fact that the marriage has taken place.
Most marriage certificates contain information such as the date of the wedding and the previous marital status of both partners. In the UK, a marriage certificate is issued in a civil registry office, but this differs between countries. Like a birth certificate or diploma, your marriage certificate is a very important personal document.
If you require a translation of your marriage certificate, it is therefore vital to have it translated properly. That is why in this page, lingoking would like to share some important information on how to translate your marriage certificate.
- When do you need a translation of your marriage certificate?
- Things to look out for when translating your marriage certificate
- How to choose the right marriage certificate translation services?
- Calculate the price for the translation of your marriage certificate now
- Summary: Certified translation of marriage certificate
- This may also be of interest to you
When do you need a translation of your marriage certificate?
There are many reasons why you might need to have your marriage certificate translated. If you relocate to another country, it may be necessary to have your marriage certificate translated into the language of that country, for example. Depending on regulations, you may need a translated marriage certificate for:
- Changing your last name
- Issues surrounding the legitimacy of a child
- Getting a divorce
Things to look out for when translating your marriage certificate
Keep in mind that each jurisdiction has its own regulations when it comes to wedding certificates. However, in most cases there are a couple of important details that need to be taken care of. For instance, there are often strict guidelines regarding the format and layout of your marriage certificate. If your translation does not follow these guidelines, chances are that foreign authorities will not accept it.
Authorities often ask for a certified or notarised translation. It is therefore not recommended to attempt a translation yourself. Even if you are fluent in the language required, you nevertheless cannot provide a certified translation of your marriage certificate yourself. This is something that has to be done by a professional translation agency that can add a formal certification to the translation. By adding such a declaration, translators state that they are qualified to make the translation.
A translation agency with experience will therefore be able to provide you with a translation of your wedding certificate that meets all regulations and guidelines so your document will be accepted by organisations like the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
How to choose the right marriage certificate translation services?
Choosing the right translation agency can be difficult. Don’t be afraid to ask questions to help you make a decision. These are a couple of questions you may want to ask a translation service provider before making a final decision:
- How much expertise does the translation agency have? Are they experienced with legal translations?
- Are the translators certified by the relevant body? Can a certified translation be provided if needed?
- Are the translators members of organisations such as the American Translators Association (ATA)?
- Is the privacy of your information guaranteed?
- Does the translation company have straightforward pricing? What is included in the cost? Are there any extra costs for additional services?
- Can the translation agency offer additional services such as an interpreter?
Take your time choosing the marriage certificate translation services that you want to enlist. Time spent at this stage can ensure a quicker and smoother translation process.
Summary: Certified translation of marriage certificate
Translating your marriage certificate is an important task and you want to make sure you get it done correctly. Using a professional translation agency is the best way to receive a high quality translation that meets all requirements concerning style and format and that will be accepted by the relevant authorities.
If you require a translation of your marriage certificate for work, travel, marriage or any other reason, get in touch with us and find out how our professional translators can help you!